Sunday, August 5, 2007

32:35



Thirty-two minutes and thirty five seconds! That is the time I completed my first road race in! It was a time trial and I entered the 28+ public class on my new Madone 5.2! My friend Bill told me last night to shoot for 40 minutes so you can see my joy in the finish time I posted. 32:35 was good enough for second place in my class! I have to say, I am hooked. The course was on a country road out near Filmore. Just a little over 12 miles.
With the work week I had which included way to much Taco Bell and pizza, I did not expect to do all that great. The start was rough like most of my mountain bike races. No matter how much I warm up, I always start a little cold and it takes me a minute to warm up. Once I got going I felt pretty strong. The course rolled up and down for six miles and then you turned around and went back. When I hit the 10 mile mark I hit the wall! I was still traveling about 16 mph, but it felt like I was going 5 mph. When I saw the marker for 1km left I found the reserve tank and hit it hard!
The crew at the shop are have been instrumental in my progress so I just wanted to give a shout out to Westlake Cyclery and Team Fast Friday! Thanks guys!
Peace

No comments: