Friday, December 28, 2007

Pit Bull

Just as hoped, I scored a new camera for Christmas! My new riding buddy! Kristen had to be at work in Sherman Oaks at 4am the day after Christmas and I drove her down as she has a hard time driving that early. I needed to get in a long ride and the only way that I could work it out was to take the car back down there after a little sleep and ride home. The air was cool, the traffic was OK, but the wind was demoralizing! I headed down Van Nuys, left on Burbank, right on Balboa, and took that all the way up through the valley. I almost took a spill in a pothole that was as deep as a well! Once I got to Rinaldi I took a left and headed towards Simi Valley. Up and over Santa Susana Pass and down into town. I opted for the long way around so I hugged the East hills. As I made my way through a neighborhood I got the scare of the day when a pit bull charged me! I made like Tornado Tom Boonen and sprinted my ass off! I almost had to change my chamois! I made my way back into Thousand Oaks via Olsen and Erbes Road. The Erbes climb was painful 40 miles into the ride! I somehow got a flat halfway down Erbes. That sucked. I made my way to Westlake Cyclery after changing the flat. My front wheel was a little out of true and Tony fixed me up. From there it was on to home! I finished the day with over 55 miles and 3200 ft of climbing in 3 and a half hours. I then ate more Sushi than I ever have and may have single handedly wiped out the spicy tuna and eel supply! My goal was to do a 4+ hour mountain bike ride the next day...I did it..barely! I will post pictures of that Sunday. I am off to Disneyland with my lovely for the day and then tomorrow is the Project Rwanda 50 miler. I'm a little scared!
Keep Climbing,
Lucas

Short Reprieve from Traffic


101 to the 118 Via Balboa Blvd


Looking Back Over the San Fernando Valley


Climbing Santa Susana Pass


Pushing it in the Wind


Looking Down on Simi Valley From Rocky Peak


Back Home in Westlake


View From Above

2 comments:

Discover... Experience said...

Great to read your stores and see your pictures. Those are nice shots. I look forward to seeing more scenic shots of your rides.

Missed you on Christmas. Hope that you received our message...

Blessings,

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a little dogrenaline to get your heart pumpin'. Makes for a good workout! ;-)

Missed you on the ride!